Saturday, December 1, 2012

These All Died In Faith


"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them , and embraced them , and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." (Hebrews 11:13)
In this chapter known by many as the "Hall of Faith", the words "by faith" are used 15 times and the words "through faith", are used 5 times. After each of the total 20 times these four words are used, there is a corresponding action taken by these Old Testament saints.
This is the real essence of faith. It is not simply something you believe and talk about in theoretical terms, it is something you act upon because you believe it to be true!
"By faith Noah.......prepared an ark;"
"Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised."
It is not enough I have learned to just talk about what I believe, and to strive to teach correct doctrine.....I must live out what I believe in my daily walk.
We live in perilous times and "the whole world (as 1 John 5:19 says,) lieth in wickedness." The Lord has impressed upon me to be more visible and more vocal. I am seeking everyday to understand what this being a pilgrim in the world is all about.
An old chorus says: "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through..." Even though I know that, I find I want to stop and settle for awhile.
These men and women of faith in Hebrews 11, "all died in faith, not having seen the promises..." yet, while they lived, they kept believing and acting on their faith. They kept right on living for God even though they did not have all the answers.
Our nation is in a sad mess......the Church in our nation I believe is in even a sadder mess. Many that profess to be saved, live bound to the things of the world. Their affections rather than being set on the things which are above, are focused only on the things which are beneath. We must learn we are here to serve our King! We are left to be His ambassadors to a world which despises and rejects Him. We are not to try to make Him more appealing, we are to lift Him up as He is....the One who died because we all are wretched miserable sinners without His blood being applied to our sin.
To live this way requires great active faith......I pray to God we will do just that!



Jim Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment